A handsome Mill House, set in delightful riverside gardens
Set within idyllic riverside gardens, this handsome period family home offers spacious and flexible accommodation over two floors. The house benefits from being unlisted, whilst still offering a number of period features. It is thought that the original building dated from the 16th Century. This was destroyed by fire in 1819 and was re-built in brick and stone, with a slate roof, in the same year, commemorated by a stone plaque in the south-western elevation of the house. One end of the property was a Tucking Mill until about 1930.
A large reception hall, with parquet floor and a fireplace with wood-burning stove, leads into the dual-aspect drawing room. This room has a Carrara marble fireplace with a wood-burning stove and enjoys views over both the garden and the river. The dual-aspect kitchen/breakfast room has a quarry-tiled floor, an electric AGA, a range of fitted units with wooden work surfaces, a walk-in larder and a door to the south-west facing riverside terrace. There are also bi-fold doors onto a decked balcony, overlooking the mill pond. A pantry area leads through to a large utility/boot room, with quarry-tiled floor, two external doors, fitted cupboards, a sink, plumbing for a washing machine and a cooker point. It also contains the electronically powered boiler for the water-source heat pump. The dining room, with parquet floor, is adjacent to both the hall and the kitchen. A secondary hall, with quarry-tiled floor, offers access to the cloakroom and internally to the garage. A set of back stairs lead up to the impressive double-height music room/studio, above which is a galleried mezzanine level, currently used as a study.
The main staircase, from the reception hall, leads to a galleried landing with original built-in linen cupboards, from which the bedrooms and bathrooms are accessed. The dual-aspect principal bedroom benefitting from an en suite bathroom and pretty views over the river and garden. There are three further bedrooms and two further bathrooms.
The delightful riverside grounds, which extend to approximately 0.75 acres (excluding the river itself), are a particular feature of this property. The River Nadder and its associated mill pond and mill stream encircle the gardens, creating a charming island which enjoys complete privacy and outstanding wildlife, such as otters and kingfishers. From the terrace abutting the south-west elevation of the house, are stone steps down into the mill pond, from which the owners swim. Views across the river stretch to the tranquil water meadows beyond (designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest). The gardens are mainly laid to lawn, with deep flower borders of hostas, roses, bluebells, tulips, hellebores and lavender and mature trees such as alder, ash, acer and silver birch. There are a number of fruit trees, some gathered in an orchard area, namely apple, pear, cherry and fig. Adjacent to a vegetable garden is a little foot-bridge across to a further segment of land, where the owner keeps bees.
The property enjoys approximately 100m of single bank river frontage, with sole fishing rights, in addition to the mill stream frontage. A riverside, club specification' tennis court, with an artificial grass surface, was built about 5 years ago. An integral garage, with electric roller shutter doors, is accessed from the private parking area adjacent to the village road. There is further parking once inside the five-bar gate, leading to the front of the house. Outbuildings include a large shed/greenhouse, a separate greenhouse and a dog kennel/run.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
There is always something romantic about Mill Houses and their riverside gardens. This is no exception and I love the garden and grounds. The music room is special too and with the renewable energy sources, it is a property that is also relatively cost-efficient to run.James McKillop