A beautifully restored Grade II* listed Elizabethan mansion house occupying a commanding hillside position offering far reaching views.
Bodidris Hall is a fine late Elizabethan manor house built by the Lloyds of Bodidris, an important gentry family who rose to prominence under the Tudors.
It was also used as accommodation for the Earl of Leicester, who fought with Evan Lloyd in Ireland and knighted him in 1586. Leicester is said to have used Bodidris between 1563 and 1578 as his hunting lodge and his heraldic badge, the bear and the ragged staff, appears on the south gable.
During the 19th century the ownership of Bodidris passed to the Williams family of Bodelwyddan Castle. Sir Hugh Williams gave money for the new school at Llandegla and his sister paid for the rebuilding of Llandegla church.
Bodidris Hall is a substantial stone Manor House with a slate roof. Part timbered sections offer clues to the evolution of the house and fine stone mullioned windows and oak doors are a particular feature of the property. In spite of its scale Bodidris is well balanced for modern family living and has been impressively restored to a high standard by the current owner.
The heavy panelled front door beside a stone terrace adjacent to a large gravelled parking area at the side of the house opens into a hall with a stone floor, a cloakroom and wc. It leads to a reception hall linking the kitchen to the main reception rooms and containing wonderful ancient oak stairs. Beneath the stairs is a larder/wine store.
A fine oak partition provides the division from the superb family kitchen with an excellent bespoke Clive Christian kitchen with high quality appliances, including a LaCanche cooking range, marble work tops and a substantial island. At the opposite end of the room is an area for dining and beside a door to the back hall a seating area within a former inglenook. Off the back hall is a second staircase and a corridor with fitted cupboards leading to a utility room. A door opens onto the drive.
At the front of the house offering views over the grounds and valley beyond is an impressive drawing room with heavy oak beams, bespoke oak flooring, a fireplace, panelled walls and a dining room also with bespoke flooring.
On the first floor is a stunning master bedroom suite with far reaching views, built in dressing room and bathroom and two further suites. There are two staircases to the second floor with one leading to a cinema room which links to a kitchen and WC. This area may offer scope for the creation of a staff flat. The second stairs lead to a landing serving a study with fitted shelving, two further bedrooms and a family bathroom.
Outside beautiful landscaped grounds are set within a walled garden. They include hard landscaping in the form of terracing for dining and entertaining, a range of specimen plants and trees together with lawns. Beside the house is a substantial outbuilding providing garaging, a workshop and storage. There is a gravel driveway a turning area and substantial wooden gates. In front of the house are rolling lawns leading to a large lake with a small island.
Bodidris Hall has the rare quality of being an impressive historic house (it certainly provides a real sense of antiquity) which has undergone a back to bones restoration in recent years.Charlie KannreutherProperty agent