The childhood home of Christopher Robin. An enchanting Grade II Listed country house set amidst wonderful gardens & grounds
- entrance hall
- drawing room
- dining room
- kitchen/breakfast room
- utility room
- shower room
- master bedroom with en suite bathroom
- 3 further bedrooms, one en suite
- family bathroom
- 2 bedrooms
- shower room
- beautiful landscaped gardens
- ornamental fish pond
- field and woodland
- heated swimming pool
- summer house
- pool room
- covered well, mower and log store
- central heating boiler and secure tool store
- in all about 9.5 acres
- Ashdown Forest Commoner's Rights
Agent's note: The majority of the photographs were taken in 2010 and some of the trees and plantings around the house have altered since they were taken.
Cotchford Farm, which has been in the same ownership for over 46 years, is a most enchanting Grade II Listed country house and is understood to date from the mid 16th Century with later additions.
The property nestles amidst beautifully maintained, south-facing secluded gardens and grounds, with an area of coniferous and deciduous woodland to the eastern boundary. Internally, the well proportioned family accommodation is arranged over three floors. Points of note include:
- an abundance of exposed timbers and beams, some oak frame mullioned windows, painted wooden drop latch doors, flagstone and polished brick flooring;
- the wonderful split-level drawing room enjoys an outlook to four aspects and features an impressive inglenook fireplace with brick hearth and wood burning stove. The south elevation is predominantly glazed to maximise the enjoyment of the garden outlook. A multi-paned door opens to an attractive brick paved terrace;
- of particular note is the beautiful oak panelled dining room which provides the ideal area for formal entertaining.
In addition, there is a study with brick fireplace, fitted bookshelves and cupboards and a versatile family/playroom with adjoining shower room;
- the kitchen/breakfast room is fitted with a range of wall and floor cupboards with beech wood work surfaces and tiled splash backs. Integrated dishwasher and space for a range cooker and 2 fridges or freezers;
- a utility room offers additional space for a washing machine and tumble dryer. Three-phase electricity meter and domestic oil boiler;
- situated on the first floor are four charming bedrooms, all of which enjoy either an outlook over the landscaped gardens or the delightful brick paved courtyard approach to the front of the house;
- the attractive dual aspect master bedroom benefits from a range of fitted wardrobe cupboards providing both hanging and shelving and a well proportioned en suite bathroom with airing cupboard and additional cupboards;
- the three further bedrooms are served by an en suite shower room and a family bathroom;
- the second floor has two bedrooms equipped with a variety of fitted cupboards and eaves storage cupboards, together with a shower room.
Gardens, Grounds & Outbuildings
- Cotchford Farm is approached via an electric timber five bar gate, which leads to a driveway, edged with mature trees and established mixed hedging;
- the front elevations of the house are enhanced with virginia creeper and wisteria and there is a most attractive courtyard area with rose beds and a raised border which incorporates a small herb garden and various shrubs;
- the beautiful gardens and grounds are a superb feature of the property and whilst providing a lovely backdrop to the house they also offer privacy and seclusion;
- to the north-west of the house lie a substantial kitchen garden and apple orchard;
- a rose clad pergola at the top of the formal garden area enjoys views over four beautifully manicured tiers of level lawn, each with centrally located stone steps, culminating in a dividing stone staircase;
- the heated swimming pool is surrounded by terracing and there is a timber arbour enhanced with mature climbers, which provides an excellent area for 'al fresco' entertaining;
- further brick paved and Sussex sandstone terraces adjoin the house and an ornamental fish pond surrounded by box hedging is an attractive feature;
- an expanse of lawn with herbaceous borders and an impressive weeping willow extends from the southern boundary to the area of woodland, where access can be gained via a 'lych' style gate;
- in the garden is a stone statue of Christopher Robin and a sundial book with AAM initials and a quill telling the time on a stand, with Pooh and his friends carved into it;
- outbuildings comprise an octagonal summer house, pool plant room, a charming brick building with tiled roof which houses a well, mower store and open garden/log store. There is also an external boiler room, housing the main central heating boiler, in a large garden store and tool shed adjacent to the courtyard;
- the remainder of land comprises a partially fenced field with a stream running along the southern wooded boundary. 'Pooh Sticks Bridge' is half a mile upstream.
Services: Oil fired central heating. Bottled gas for cooking. Mains water and electricity. Private drainage.
Outgoings: Wealden District Council: 01892 653311. Current Tax Band G.
Strictly by appointment with Savills on 01892 507000. If there is any point which is of particular importance to you, we invite you to discuss this with us, especially before you travel to view the property.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They have no authority to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property