An elegant Grade II* listed former vicarage, with adaptable accommodation and superb landscaped gardens, situated in the heart of this historic market town.
Dating back to the 18th century, Hailsham Grange is one of the most important buildings in the town, located next to St Mary's Parish Church and formerly serving as the vicarage. The property was probably built between 1701 and 1705 for the Rev. Odiarne Hooper, the incumbent vicar from 1753 to 1769.
Hailsham Grange is a striking red and grey bricked house combining the formality of the Queen Anne period with the Dutch influence of William and Mary, with its archetypical classical symmetry, graceful lines and impressively-proportioned accommodation.
The symmetrical facade features a carriage driveway and a parterre-style garden to the front, immediately making a statement. The property has been sympathetically nurtured and improved with contemporary fixtures and fittings, whilst retaining the basic plan of the early 19th century. The well proportioned, light and spacious accommodation retains many attractive period features and the second floor former servants' quarters offers scope for further improvement.
The widely panelled central entrance door with decorative architraves opens into an impressive dining room with columns and traditional chequerboard marble floor, big sash windows, folding wooden shutters and a fireplace with marble surround. The formal dual-aspect drawing room features a Greek inspired carved marble fireplace and an interesting bow recess to one end, with a sash window overlooking the rear garden. It is fitted with discreet secret cupboards behind the bookshelves. A light-filled inner hallway with a sweeping balustrade staircase rises up to a galleried landing and a delightful study with a large sash window which overlooks the garden includes built-in bookshelves and a pretty carved marble fireplace with a ducks nest grate.
The modern kitchen is fitted with a 4 oven Aga and a good range of painted wood cupboards, island breakfast bar and French doors within a big bay recess opening out to the garden. The utility/boot room includes a secondary staircase to the first and second floors, has space for white goods and opens out to an enclosed bricked courtyard, with a gate to the side.
The master bedroom features a pretty fireplace, twin windows to the front, an en suite shower room and a dressing area. There are three further individual double bedrooms, two with fireplaces, and a family bathroom on the first floor.
The second floor is very substantial, with far reaching views and five further bedrooms and a bathroom, offering the potential to create adaptable private accommodation. It can be accessed via the back staircase if required.
The cellar has extensive storage space.
The gardens are a stunning feature of the property having been previously opened to the public. Laid out in a traditional parterre style, the majority of the garden stretches to the rear of the house, enclosed by a high brick wall. Comprising several distinct rooms, divided by a mix of pleached hornbeam, hornbeam, clipped yew and low box hedging and wide brick pathways, bordered by deep herbaceous beds, planted with an eclectic mix of colour and fragrance. A delightful summerhouse provides a pretty focal point towards the back and other notable features include an inscribed stone plaque over a water feature, and a stately mature yew tree in the far corner. The front gardens give a feeling of style and formality to the approach, behind a high brick wall with a magnolia, topiary, low box hedging and a rose garden with a stone memorial feature.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Absolutely beautiful period house, centrally situated for the town.Robert Jacobs