Exquisite Grade II Listed Georgian house in formal gardens with secondary accommodation, outbuildings and organic pasture, in all about 16.7 acres with further land available by separate negotiation.
Betton House sits back from a quiet lane in the rural hamlet of Betton, north of Market Drayton. Surrounded by lawns, formal gardens and mature trees, the setting is perfect for a house of the calibre of Betton House.
Nearby Norton-in-Hales, which is just over a mile away, offers a good community feel along with ample amenities for a village this size including church, public house, primary school and leisure activities including tennis, cricket and a bowls club. The house is well placed for the market town of Market Drayton, and the larger centres of Shrewsbury, Stafford, Newcastle, Nantwich and Crewe with their wide range of shopping and entertainment amenities.
Good schools are also in both the state and private sectors including Yarlet and Edenhurst Preparatory schools, Newcastle Grammar, Shrewsbury School and High School, Stafford and Newport Grammars. Leisure pursuits are also excellent including a top class golf course at Hawkstone Park as well as Market Drayton Golf Course. There is also the North Staffordshire Hunt as well as numerous opportunities in the region for walking, fishing and cycling.
There are direct rail services from Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford, taking you to London Euston. The house is also within easy commuting distance of many Midland business centres via the M6 corridor. International airports include Manchester, East Midlands and Birmingham.
Betton House has an exceptionally handsome Georgian facade which is characterised by its proportion and balance, the prominent three storey bays, the mellow red brick and generous sash windows. Internally the accommodation has been sympathetically maintained and offers the delightful well balanced rooms that one would expect from a house of this period and quality.
It is a fine country house, neither too large nor too small, in an idyllic setting surrounded by its own land. It is set back from the lane and approached via an in and out drive which frames a large lawn and several specimen shrubs and mature trees. A cobbled courtyard to the north of the house is flanked by a range of outbuildings providing stabling, garaging and storage and part has been converted into three cottages, which are current let on short term arrangements. The delightful gardens are well maintained and include a fine part walled kitchen garden.
According to the listing it was built in the mid to late 18th Century; however the site predates this as the foundations of a Tudor farmhouse were discovered in the grounds near to the house.
The distinctive bow windows and the second floor were added in the 1780's, most likely at the same time the stables and grooms accommodation was added for the Duke of Sutherland who used Betton House as one of his 'Hunting boxes'. The house played its part during the second world war, offering aid to evacuated children and there is also mention of soldiers billeting at Betton House.
In the late 1800's the house was owned by the Edwards Heathcote family; Katherine Maud Edwards-Heathcote being the mother of Sir Oswald Moseley, who is believed to have spent time at Betton House, if not lived there for a period during his childhood.
The hamlet of Betton dates back to certainly the late 16th century. It is understood that it was in the ownership of the Church family of Nantwich, and their descendents from the early 1600's right through to the 20th century.
A central panelled front door, framed by a door case with three quarter columns and below a wreathed radial fanlight, leads into an impressive reception hall with a part flag stone and part oak floor, classical columns, a fireplace with a Clearview wood burner and sash windows through which there are lovely views over the gardens. The dining room is an impressive room with stripped wooden shutters, cornicing, a fireplace and pine floorboards. The drawing room, set further down the hall, is a beautifully proportioned and comfortable room, again with a fireplace and the same high ceilings. The breakfast room is a later addition to the house and doubles as a garden room with French doors opening onto a terrace. It is a single storey structure with an interesting and attractive half conical roof.
The kitchen is a large room with exposed beams and large oil fired Aga. A passage way from the left of the kitchen leads through to a large utility room, WC and log store. Another door from the left of the kitchen leads into a pantry. The wine cellars and a further WC are also accessed from the main hall.
Moving up to the first floor, the oak continues with the landing floor, from which the principal bedrooms lead. The master bedroom, as well as the bow window, solid oak floor and open fireplace, has a wonderfully fitted en suite bathroom with rolltop bath, and a dressing room which is also accessed from the landing. The two other bedrooms on this floor both have bow windows and open fires, with the second bedroom having access to a bathroom and WC, which has a further entrance from the half landing.
A corridor from which stairs lead to the second floor, leads through to a suite of rooms comprising sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. This has separate access from a rear staircase next to the kitchen and could be utilised in a variety of ways, whether for guests, staff or extended family.
The second floor accommodation comprises three further large and light bedrooms, all with bow windows and open fireplaces, two of which join together via a nursery. There is also a bathroom and storage room.
The courtyard to the north of Betton House contains three well presented cottages, all currently let out on ASTs and providing a small income, currently let on Assured Shorthold Tenancies. Details are available from the selling agents.
Betton Cottage features a striking sitting room which is open up to the beams, a recently fitted kitchen, three bedrooms and bathroom.
Grooms Cottage: sitting room, recently fitted kitchen with Clearview wood burning stove and two bedrooms.
The Bothy has sitting room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.
The courtyard to the north of Betton House comprises a range of well kept, brick built outbuildings which include the cottages, stables, log store, garaging and storage. To the side of these access leads to the rear where there is a further brick built shed and a separate stable block. Further outbuildings include a York boarded cattle/storage shed (20 ft x 30 ft) which is well hidden from the house.
Gardens & Grounds
Betton House is fronted by a sweeping gravel drive which has two accesses onto the lane, with lawned gardens and impressive trees, along with mature shrubs and beds. Formal gardens surround the house to the south and west, divided into rooms starting with a formal hedged garden with stunning mature beds and a terrace off the breakfast room. From here you move through to a former pool which is both partially walled and hedged. Directly to the rear of the house is an impressive walled kitchen garden, with beds divided by box hedging and gravelled pathways and behind this is further vegetable beds and a small orchard.
The versatile, gently undulating land is mainly pasture suitable for grazing horses and other livestock, and which currently possesses organic status. In all the grounds extend to about 16.7 acres.
There is further land available by separate negotiation totalling about 55 acres.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBWMRSTES110122
+44 (0) 1952 239 500