Elegant wing of an historic Victorian stable conversion.
Believed to date from the turn of the 20th Century, North Cottage comprises the northern wing of the former stabling and coach house for the nearby Manor House, echoing its handsome, classically Victorian architecture. In 1914, the owner of The Manor House, the German Count Munster, was deemed an enemy alien' and his property was sequestrated and handed over to the army. In 1925, The Public Trustee sold off the estate and it was broken up into parcels and the residential development began.
It is understood that the building was converted in 1929 to form North Cottage and its neighbours; the house has since been carefully extended and improved resulting in an elegant and well-presented home, further enhanced by mature and beautifully landscaped gardens and grounds, and a modern detached double garage with office over.
The floor plan gives a comprehensive overview of the full extent and layout of the house; there are high ceilings throughout most of the house and many of the rooms benefit from a dual aspect with delightful outlooks over the gardens. There are two formal reception rooms on the ground floor: a dining room and a spacious sitting room featuring a fireplace set with a Clearview woodburner and with doors opening to a charming sun room in turn opening to the east terrace. The kitchen is fitted with a range of bespoke handmade cabinets with granite worktops and an Esse range; the original clay tiled floor, exposed brick wall and tongue and groove panelling hint at the property's former life.
A bookshelf-lined study, useful utility room and a cloakroom complete the ground floor.
There are four bedrooms on the first floor, one of which has been fitted with wardrobes and is currently used as a dressing room. The bedrooms are served by two generous bathrooms, both with classic white suites including baths and separate shower cubicles, and a separate WC.
North Cottage's gardens and grounds are of particular note, extending to about 1.04 acres and being carefully landscaped to form a variety of private seating areas, formal and informal planting. A long, gated gravel driveway, screened from the road by mature trees and flanked by areas of lawn dotted with shrubs, leads up to the house and to the detached double garage which has an adjoining store room and versatile office room over. Immediately to the front (east) of the house is a paved terrace accessed from the sun room; to the rear of the house a further gravel terrace lies adjacent to the house. Beyond here is a large and well-stocked herbaceous border with a stepped pathway rising to a beautiful wild flower meadow and orchard.
Maresfield Park is a private estate and each household contributes towards the upkeep of the roads.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
This lovely home is brimming with history and character, and its beautiful, mature garden and wildflower meadow is such a peaceful spot.Rohan Vines