King Edward Wing
1,191.30 sq m
Offers in the region of £1,650,000(48.745.963.568 ₫)

Rangemore HallDunstall Road, Rangemore, Burton-on-Trent, DE13 9RH


    Key features

    • Six bedrooms & five bathrooms
    • Three reception rooms & study
    • Leisure complex
    • Internal one bedroom flat
    • Gardens & parkland setting

    Magnificent renovated Grade II listed historic country property dating to 1902. The furniture can be made available by separate negotiation.

    About this property

    • The King Edward VII Wing is a spectacular, Grade II listed country residence with important historical connections to King Edward VII. Approached by a long sweeping drive and set in wonderful grounds with far reaching views, the extravagant and luxurious accommodation includes an integrated service flat, leisure complex, swimming pool and sauna. Restored with a meticulous eye for detail by its current owner entrepreneur and TV personality, Hilary Devey.

      The Wing enjoys East and South aspects over its own grounds, of around 10 acres with lakes, a summerhouse and outbuildings.

      The property is entered through a grand panelled door into the reception hall which has a coved ceiling with decorative wall and ceiling plasterwork, limestone flooring and boot room off. From here, impressive mahogany double doors open to the main reception hall revealing the striking, sweeping staircase.
      To the West of the hallway is the Kings Study, serving as a beautifully light sitting room, featuring three bay windows with seating, an original Listed fireplace which has been beautifully painted and wonderful ceiling mouldings. The room has recently been redecorated to preserve the oak panelling behind new plasterwork.

      The magnificent drawing room boasts high ceilings, beautifully detailed coving with decorative frieze, cornicing and ceiling plasterwork, large windows with inset shutters and a hand carved marble fireplace. The ballroom is a grand and substantial room, perfect for entertaining with high ceilings detailed with colourful, decorative frieze and tall windows provide natural light and wonderful views of the terrace, parkland and lake.

      The bespoke handmade kitchen is beautifully designed with a large island, granite worktops, a four door Aga and two large, bespoke made dressers one of which integrates the fridge, microwave and Miele coffee machine. French doors lead from the kitchen to the terrace area overlooking the wonderful grounds. The ground floor also includes a well-equipped Romanesque style leisure complex with limestone flooring, steps rise to a Jacuzzi and beyond is the tiled, heated swimming pool with three large mirrors behind.

      There is a useful laundry room and cloakroom WC.

      The principle staircase rises to a half landing off which steps rise to the originally restored King Edward VII bathroom consisting of a mahogany panelled roll top bath and porcelain basin set within a mahogany wash stand. Beyond is a walk through office/library which can have a multitude of uses and leads to the steam room and WC. From here is a spiral staircase which rises to the second floor.

      Off the principle staircase is the self-contained flat, which consists of a living room with a fitted kitchen and a double bedroom with an en-suite bathroom. The flat can also be accessed via a spiral staircase on the ground floor.

      The staircase rises to the second floor galleried landing. The impressive master bedroom suite is entered through a lobby to the main bedroom. Four large windows to the front and the side overlook the majestic grounds and a luxuriously appointed en suite comprises of a spacious dressing room, useful kitchenette and large bathroom with a champagne bath and walk in shower. The guest suite boasts three substantial windows overlooking the grounds with far reaching views, a walk in dressing room and a separate en suite shower room. The second guest bedroom has a magnificent three bay window with shutters and seating and en suite with an oval bath. The two remaining bedrooms each have en suite shower/ bathrooms and there is also a further dressing room.

      OUTSIDE:

      The King Edward VII Wing is set in a wonderful parkland setting, approached through electric wrought iron gates along a sweeping drive flanked by mature woodland and attractive ornamental lighting leading to a four car garage and ample guest parking.
      To the side of the house is a well-stocked colourful terrace paved with natural stone which is fully secured with railings.
      From the terrace, steps lead down to the garden to the striking, original water fountain.
      Within the grounds are two lakes, one of which has a summerhouse with wooden decking, kitchen and log fire which could be used as further accommodation.

      View payable Stamp Duty for this property

    A truly stately home which oozes opulence and style.

    Tony Morris-EytonProperty agent

    Local information

    • Rangemore Hall lies in a rural area of Staffordshire, about four miles west of Burton-upon-Trent. The hamlet of Rangemore was developed by Michael Thomas Bass, who resided at Rangemore Hall, to house his employees. As well as cottages for his staff, Bass went on to build Rangemore Church, licenced in 1867 and a school in 1873. Today the village is an unspoilt, popular residential area.
    • The larger village of Barton under Needwood is less than four miles distant offering a good range of local amenities including a number of shops, pubs, restaurants and a village hall. Barton under Needwood offers good primary and secondary schools with John Taylor High School being very well regarded. There is also good private schooling nearby including Repton School, which is one of Britain's oldest public schools, Lichfield Cathedral School and Denstone College.
    • Rangemore Hall is well placed for access to the regional road network with the A38 being about four miles away providing a link to the M6 and M42 motorways and the A50 providing a link to the North. Lichfield Station offers a rapid mainline connection to London Euston in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Regional airports include East Midlands and Birmingham International.
    • Rangemore Hall was built for the Bass family and is a most impressive, Grade II listed country mansion. The King Edward VII Wing was added by Lord Burton (of the Bass brewing dynasty), in order to carry favour with King Edward VII, whom stayed here with his entourage in 1902. The Wing ultimately ended up being significantly larger than the mansion itself and the King returned in 1907 with both Queen Alexandra and his mistress Alice Keppel. Lord Burton saw a good return on his investment and was made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in 1904.

    Additional information

    • Directions: From M1 Junction 24: Proceed on the A50 toward Derby, after approximately 12 miles exit on to the A38 South Bound, take the second Burton exit also signposted Branston and crossing back over the A38 take the Tatenhill Road continuing straight on into Tatenhill and out to Rangemore, passing through the village turning left at the ‘T' Junction and then take the entrance with the private electronic gated entry which in turn leads to the King Edward VII Wing.
    • EPC Exempt